Blog

Xylitol: Toxic Food for Dogs

I’ve been seeing a lot of articles and blog posts about xylitol lately. Apparently xylitol is becoming a popular sweetener in different foods, candy, gum, and breath mints. For humans it is a safe non caloric sweetener, but for dogs it tastes like big trouble. Within 30 minutes dogs can show symptoms of severe low blood sugar. Symptoms are:

  • Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Ataxia (uncoordinated movements)
  • Depression
  • Hypokalemia (decreased potassium)
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Liver dysfunction and/or failure

Please keep all food items that contain xylitol out of reach of your pup! If you suspect you dog has eaten a food item with xylitol, contact your vet immediately. Your vet may want you to induce vomiting or bring your pup to their office ASAP.

Also, many human dental products include xylitol, like toothpaste and mouthwash. So if you are brushing your dogs teeth, only use doggie toothpaste. Never give dogs mouthwash or breath mints for doggie breath. Believe it or not, doggie breath can usually be cured with a high quality, wholesome food diet.

My next post will continue with more toxic foods your pups should never eat….stay tuned!

Posted At: February 20, 2011 by Sheri

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>